Courtesy of Game & Hunt Daily

The definition HUNTING FOR THE PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE HUNTER ACQUIRING GAME MEAT FOR FOOD SECURITY was included in the 05 June Biodiversity Directions published in the Government Gazette (No. 43409, Note 660) by the Department Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment, and signed by Minister Barbara Creecy.

The directions published on Friday, if read with the guidelines as confirmed via email by the national Department of Environmental Affairs on Thursday 04 June to WILDLIFE RANCHING SOUTH AFRICA, in short means the following is allowed:

  • Hunting for the primary aim of obtaining meat (game meat) for personal consumption. (subsistence hunting – “biltong jag”)
  • Interprovincial traveling to the hunting destination
  • Overnight stay in the on-site hunting camp

The only additional permit needed is a permit to perform a permitted service/activity in terms of Regulation 33(4)(a) of the Disaster Management Act Regulations of 28 May 2020 (Gazette No. 43363, Notice No. 608). If you are a member of a hunting and or sport shooting association, or a wildlife or agricultural association, your association will be able to supply you with such a permit. If you are not a member of such an association, you can get the permit as an annexure on the Government Gazette No. 43363, Notice No. 608 dated 28 May 2020.

This permit must be completed by the land owner where you are going to hunt, and is not completed by government or your hunting and or sport shooting association, or wildlife or agricultural association.

All other permits needed are the standard permits a hunter needs to hunt. Once again, if you are a member of a hunting and or sport shooting association, your association will be able to supply you the relevant information of which permits are needed for each different province.

You would either need:

  • a provincial hunting license issued by a province, or a permission to hunt form issued by the landowner where you are hunting, that needs to be carried on your person at all times during the hunt.
  • when transporting your game meat or carcasses, a permission to transport game meat, issued by the landowner.
  • for transporting warthog and bush pig meat or carcasses from, through or to Gauteng, Limpopo, North West, Mpumalanga and KZN, the landowner must issue a permit from an official permit book.

Keep the following in mind:

  • when traveling, private vehicles may not carry more than 60% of the licensed capacity, thus for a passenger vehicle or a double cab bakkie, only 3 persons.
  • hunters and landowners must comply with all lockdown related legislation in terms of health, safety and legal requirements
  • hunters and landowners must comply with all applicable national and provincial legislation in terms of the National Environmental Management Biodiversity Act.

Be accountable and make sure you confirm or get the correct information and permits from your hunting association and the land owner where you will be hunting. If you are not a member of a hunting association, please do not copy official branded permits from a hunting association. By doing that, you are not a hunter, you are a poacher!!!!

Download the Directives here!