Firearms and Ammunition
Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts may only be transported in checked baggage and in the correct container or case. Passengers must complete the necessary local police formalities to process the carriage of the firearm. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on luggage.
A Handling Fee is charged per sector for the carriage of handguns, sporting rifles and their ammunition, as follows:
To or from Bloemfontein: R550.00
To or from Richards Bay: R350.00
To or from Other Airports: R280.00 (these include Cape Town, Hoedspruit, Johannesburg, Kimberley, Margate, Plettenberg Bay and Sishen)
George is a GUN FREE airport, NO FIREARMS will be permitted into or out of George
Below is a summary of the key regulatory requirements to transport sporting firearms, handguns, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage:
• All firearms must be declared to the airline before the check-in process. CemAir requires a minimum of 3 days notification and upfront payment for the firearm(s)
• The customer wanting to transport a firearm and/or ammunition must be present (without exception) with their licence and airline ticket as proof of travel
• The firearm must be unloaded when handed in at the check-in counter
• The firearm must be carried in a hard-sided container designed specifically for air travel
• The container must be locked
• The passenger must provide the key or combination to the screener if it is necessary to open the container, and then remain present during screening to take back possession of the key after the container is cleared
• Any ammunition transported must be securely packed in fiber (such as cardboard, wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition)
• The ammunition cannot be transported in the same container as the firearm, it needs to properly packed and in a separate container as described above
• Black powder and percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms are not permitted in carry-on or checked baggage
Ammunition – A maximum of 5kg, securely packed as detailed in the regulatory requirements will be permitted for carriage as a separate piece of baggage or within checked baggage. Ammunition must be declared in the same way as handguns or sporting rifles.
Cemair will only allow transportation of sporting guns and handguns packed in a specialised hard case carrier. This container will be carried in the hold (checked baggage).
Arrival and claiming your firearm and/or ammunition
Upon arrival at your destination please proceed to the arrival hall where you will be handed your handgun/sporting rifle once it is offloaded form the aircraft. It is the responsibility of the passenger to ensure that they have correct documentation and allow ample time to process their firearm/ammunition through the correct channels. Failure to do so may result in denied boarding.
Cemair (Pty) Ltd
IATA code 5Z
Head Office: +27 (0)11 395 4473
Ticket sales: 0861CEMAIR (0861 236247)
International: +27 (0) 11 390 1110
Website: www.cemair.co.za / www.flycemair.co.za